Tribes 2 RPG

Discuss Tribes RPG, any servers, here.
kyred

Tribes 2 RPG

Postby kyred » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Hey everyone,

I am working on revamping/finishing up Tribes 2 RPG (aka. Ironsphere). The mod has been out of development for quite some time (last release I think was in '06), and it has never really felt finished to me. After taking a look at the code, I can see why I felt that way. Because it isn't finished. It's a sloppy port with a few enhancements. It's playable, but could use some work under the hood.

I want to bring it up to speed with Tribes 1 RPG. As well as mix in some of the ideas I've seen from TRPG servers back in the day. But just fixing up the base game is turning out to be a little more involved than anticipated (par for the course as programming projects go). But I'm making progress byte by byte. So far I fixed #hide, added the RecursiveZone() check back in (I reworked it so it is a bit faster than T1's verison), and replaced the old EXP method with the newer one that T1RPG now uses. Along with other smaller changes.

For anyone interested, I've created a small dev blog https://www.tumblr.com/blog/kyred808 to describe my accomplishments/challenges as I go. Partially as a journal for development, but also to keep me motivated. I'll post the repository for it once I get things in a more playable state. I've been bad and haven't been using git branches. So the stability can change with each commit.

I don't anticipate the mod to suddenly be revived by me working on it. My ultimate goal is to make my own flavor of T2RPG and introduce my friends to it. But I need to fix up the base game first. But if you are interested, I would appreciate knowing as show of support :D.

And if anyone wants to get in on this and help, let me know. The most I can guarantee with just me working on the project is features related to code. Another coder would be a bonus, though. And I'm severely lacking in the art department. I can live with using just the current assets, but the mod could be so much better with more stuff. Map development is needed too, but that'll be later in the process.

But again, just knowing that people are interested in a better T2RPG is enough for me :D

kyred

Re: Tribes 2 RPG

Postby kyred » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Well, I kind of gave up on the the whole dev blog idea, as that was somewhat a pain the update. But I'm still going strong on development. Here's a list of several of the major changes and updates I've made.

• Added NPC piloted ferry that moves from Ethren, Keldrin, Delkin, and Jaten
  • Server actively sends character information to the client, for client-side script support
  • Added numerical HP and MP display. Updates periodically
  • Reworked Bonus state system. Now bonuses update like in T1RPG.
  • Reworked backend code for skill commands. Chat commands for skills now map to functions, rather than requiring massive Switch statements
  • Added modular GUI for displaying information about skill commands. Client receives info from server about all skills on connection.

An image of the skill gui can be viewed here.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:08 pm

With Tribes RPG so actively developed, why work on Tribes 2 RPG?

Shinji

Postby Shinji » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:58 am

Huh. Ironsphere. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Me reviving Ironsphere into Ironsphere II was initially an AP project my friends and I were doing for high school. After we turned in the project, my friends didn't want to help anymore so I lost motivation to continue (end second team). Some months later after school finished I tried to bring it back again and proper, but it ended up getting dropped again. I decided to move to Garry's mod, and with some friends we ended up making a neat little RPG loosely based off of tribes' rpg.

To anyone involved in bringing this mod back, please message me on Skype (shinji145) or Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/shinjiku144/) I would love to contribute, and see this mod finally finished.

kyred

Postby kyred » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:45 pm

phantom wrote:With Tribes RPG so actively developed, why work on Tribes 2 RPG?

The engine for T2 is more flexible than T1. As much as I loved modding T1, I want to move to T2. Bots can be smarter and can pilot vehicles. The particle system on T2 makes it easy to make effects. Datablocks in T2 can be modified in real time. With a Tribes Next plugin you can eliminate datablock limits.

So in short, it has the same capabilities as T1RPG but more with more possibilities.

Shinji wrote:To anyone involved in bringing this mod back, please message me on Skype (shinji145) or Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/shinjiku144/) I would love to contribute, and see this mod finally finished.
Hey Shinji, I saw your post on the other forum. I'll contact you over steam.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 pm

The limitations in both engines are pretty much the same. There is still plenty we can do with Tribes 1.
Data blocks haven't been a concern in Tribes 1 for a while since I found ways around that. I can edit every attribute for weapons, except for adding shapes, in real time. Sound effects and fire delay are as easy to change as a weapon's ATK. I'm also at just 142 itemdata blocks (adding weapons doesn't increase itemdata blocks), and we're pretty sure 200 isn't a limit anymore.
We don't need bots to pilot vehicles.

Surprentis

Postby Surprentis » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 am

Kyred is there any other blog you run ? Not trying to sign up for a tumblr account to view anything..but I am interested in seeing your work

~Surp

juggernaut

Postby juggernaut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Is this project still going on??

im so interesting.

Foxfire

Postby Foxfire » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 am

I too would be interested in how far this got.

Return to “Tribes RPG”